Grasp more regarding ONE NATION ONE RATION CARD
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on Thursday announced the national rollout of a ‘One Nation, One Ration Card’ system in all states and Union Territories by March 2021. As of now, about 20 states have come on board to implement the inter-state ration card portability. the 'One Nation One Ration Card' system will enable migrant workers and their family members to access PDS benefits from any Fair Price Shop in the country.
1) A standard format for the ration card has been prepared after taking into account the format used by different states and after consultation with other stakeholders.
2) For national portability, the state governments have been asked to issue the ration card in the bi-lingual format, wherein besides the local language, the other language could be Hindi or English.
3) As of now, 17 states are on integrated management of the public distribution system (PDS).
4) Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Gujarat, Maharashtra, Haryana, Rajasthan, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Goa, Jharkhand, and Tripura. Bihar, UP, Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, and Daman and Diu have been integrated with the 'one nation, one ration card' system.
5) The eligible beneficiaries will be able to buy subsidized foodgrains, rice at ₹3 per kg, wheat at ₹2 per kg, and coarse grains at Re 1 per kg, from anywhere in the country.
6) In the present system, a ration cardholder can buy foodgrains only from an FPS that has been assigned to her in the locality in which she lives
7) According to data available on the IMPDS portal, the number of transactions done through inter-state ration card portability is only 274 as on May 15
8) The Integrated Management of Public Distribution System (IM-PDS) portal provides the technological platform for the inter-state portability of ration cards.
"The government aims to achieve 100 percent coverage by March 2021"
The government will also try to launch a scheme for affordable rental housing for migrants and the urban poor. "This is to provide ease of living by converting government-funded housing in cities into Affordable Rental Housing Complexes (ARHC) under PPP mode through the concessionaire.
Sitharaman also gave a recap of the relief measures announced by the government as part of the PM Garib Kalyan Yojana aimed at helping vulnerable groups during the nationwide lockdown.