The Central Government of India launched the Ayushman Bharat Scheme in 2018, providing a health benefits cover of Rs. 5 Lakh per year per family. The scheme was launched under the PM-JAY (Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana) campaign of the Modi government.
And the government hasn’t failed to prove the efficiency of this scheme as it completed handing over its 10 crore-th Ayushman Bharat Card to Irfan Ali of Bihar earlier this year in March.
The great thing about this scheme is that there are no caps on the gender or age of the family members, and even on the size of the family.
To avail of its benefits, you need to get an Ayushman Bharat Golden Card which can be used in every state and region of India, regardless of whether or not the said treatment is being done at a government or private hospital and covers expenses like surgery, diagnostics, pre and post hospitalization expenses, among many other treatments. Some treatments such as stenting and knee replacements will be eligible to receive a discount of 15 to 20% off the central government health scheme.
It is considered to be the world’s largest healthcare program funded by the government and provides a cashless and paperless claim facility.
Who are eligible to avail of the scheme?
In rural areas:
- Households living in only one room with kacha walls and kacha roof.
- Households with no adult member between age 16 to 59
- Female-headed households with no adult male member between age 16 to 59
- Households having at least one disabled member and no able-bodied adult member
- SC/ST households
- Landless households deriving a major part of their income from manual casual labor
- Households without shelter
- Destitute/ living on alms
- Manual scavenger families
- Primitive tribal groups
- Legally released bonded labor
In Urban Areas:
- Rag pickers
- Domestic Workers
- Street vendor/ Cobbler/hawker / Other service provider working on streets
- Construction worker/ Plumber/ Mason/ Labour/ Painter/ Welder/ Security guard/ Coolie and another head-load worker
- Sweeper/ Sanitation worker / Mali
- Home-based worker/ Artisan/ Handicrafts worker / Tailor
- Transport worker/ Driver/ Conductor/ Helper to drivers and conductors/ Cart puller/ Rickshaw puller
- Shop worker/ Assistant/ Peon in small establishment/ Helper/Delivery assistant / Attendant/ Waiter
- Electrician/ Mechanic/ Assembler/ Repair worker
- Washer-man/ Chowkidar
How to apply for the Ayushman Bharat Golden Card:
To apply for your Ayushman Bharat Golden Card, you can simply visit your nearest hospital or public service center.
How to ensure that your name is in the Ayushman Bharat Card database:
You can check it online by filling up the requested information on Am I Eligible Portal of the pmjay.gov.in website or offline by calling on the helpline number 14555.